Friday, December 1, 2017

100 FAVORITE NON-HORROR FILMS

100 FAVORITE NON-HORROR FILMS

Five years ago, I started this blog for the then sole purpose of posting my 100 Favorite Horror Films list.  The journey I took in making that list was one that I was really on my whole life as I dove headlong into research as well as re-visiting films that I had seen since being a wee lad.  I have since expanded this blog's purposes to act as my horror film journal more or less, keeping track of what I am watching and what my thoughts are on what I am watching.  Plus, lists about comic book characters, songs, drummers, and singers I love and hate.  Basically stupid, time killing word-fodder for anyone out there who has an afternoon to kill and wants to read another asshole's opinions on the interwebs.

Well I figured the five year anniversary of all these silly writings and my initial granddaddy horror movie list was the ideal time to rank all of the movies that I could not include on that one.  This brings us to my accurately dubbed 100 Favorite Non-Horror Films.  I went over some of my definitions of what a horror movie is to me in that original list and it should take hardly any words to explain what type of film does not belong in that category.  Out of all the millions of movies that anyone has ever made, it stands to reason that most of them are not going to have ghosts or boo-scares in them.  It also stands to reason that a lot of them are going to be damn amazing.

Some even transcend time and space.

A little backstory, if I may.  Around the age of nineteen or twenty, me and my brother made a joint decision to expand our then limited horizons as far as both music and film were concerned.  We had taken our interests in classic rock and metal, (influenced by our family and classmates), as far as we felt we could, so we consulted critical publications on what else was out there, as well as looking into entire genres of music that we had completely ignored or previously written off.  The rule was "There are no bad genres of music; only bad or good music".  Three-thousand and counting CDs in my collection later, that quest is still going steady.

Far as film was concerned, we took a similar, non-verbal oath.  It was a combination of my age at the time and an inner urge for enlightenment mixed with having been bamboozled enough by doing the normal movie-goer thing, which was seeing a trailer for a movie and saying "Ooo, that Lost In Space remake looks cool!".  So basically, it was the perfect time where the allure of popcorn fair had faded and we began thinking, "What really great movies did we possibly miss?".  Spoiler; there were many.

Per example, I had not even heard of these two hopeless romantics yet.

At this writing, my brother's dedication to "real movies", (as we like to knowingly/pompously call them), is unwavering.  He has amassed an encyclopedic knowledge of film history and it is honestly quicker to send him a text if I have a question on anything instead of looking it up myself.  I, as you could imagine, went a different route and tried to explore the horror film specifically.  It remains the one area of the cinema that I have more tidbits of information amassed in my cranium than he does.

Where am I going with all this nonsense?  Well, my brother made his own MyWorldofFilm blog while he was in college, which gave me the idea to do my own horror/lists one.  He also ranked his favorite films ever made, (inclusive to horror, as this current list of mine is not), several years ago.  So as I tackled one particular film genre as an on-going obsession, he took all of it on.  Though now seems the ripe time to likewise rank together the best of "everything else" that I have seen outside of the horror film.

Occasionally, WELL outside of the horror film.

If done with at least somewhat of a serious dedication, list making is fun to examine your own preferences and feelings about the things you appreciate.  At this point in my life, I am WAAAAAAAY behind my brother as far as the amount of movies that he has seen and the information surrounding them that he has gathered, but I have still certainly seen quite a lot.  Plus it is not like I just started liking movies when I turned twenty.  This list is a pretty fair combination of films that I had fallen in love with since being a little kid watching them endlessly on HBO or as recently as this month where I finally got around to them.

The word "favorite" is important.  I have no interest in trying to rank the "best" of anything.  Art is all subjective anyway and there are so many technically perfect and proficient films out there that only judging them on their historical importance would be a bore.  I like plenty of iconic, game-changing movies.  I also like plenty of ridiculous action movies and comedies, (often the same thing), from my childhood.  Both of these things will be very noticeable.  Alas though, you cannot give all of them a spot and the numbering and inclusions of what is here all goes along with my whim at this time in my life.  So here they are, ten at a time, building up all exciting like to the numero uno spot...

Speaking of art

No comments:

Post a Comment