Thursday, August 6, 2015

100 Favorite Beatles Songs


100 FAVORITE BEATLES SONGS

Yay, time for another list inspired by the exact same list!  Last Christmas I got Stephen J Spignesi and Michael Lewis's book 100 Best Beatles Songs - An Informed Fan's Guide from a fellow gargantuan Fab Four freak such as myself and I proceeded to plow through it pretty quickly.  Naturally I amused myself throughout the read, spending equal moments going "Yeah I can see that" ("Strawberry Fields", "In My Life"),  as well as "Huh? ("It's All Too Much", "Long, Long, Long").  Other entries were entirely predictable, ("Get Back", "Come Together"), but they just wouldn't be choices that I would've made in my own such list.  So what choices WOULD I make in my own such list you're all clearly asking right this very second?  Read on good sirs and madams!

Now the authors of said Beatles songs volume chose not to include any of the group's (excellent) covers and I likewise stuck with this rule.  As much as the Beatles totally own "Baby It's You" and "You Really Got a Hold On Me" in this here blokes opinion, there are over two-hundred original compositions in the Fab cannon and virtually all of them are masterpieces.  The Beatles are and have always been my favorite band, as I've said on this blog before, and I have been of the opinion for most of my life that they really don't have any "bad" songs or albums.  There are less groups that I can say that about than I can count on one hand, John, Paul, George, and Richard topping them all.

So for consideration on these here originals, I went all the way back to the group's earliest recordings through the very last.  Meaning the two "new" Beatles songs "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love" most definitely count and "You'll Be Mine", the earliest known Lennon/McCartney recorded original would've also qualified.  Granted the band was still known as the Quarrymen on it, but we all know how that ended up don't we?

Here's a hint, it didn't fare well for the chap on the right.

There may be one other band I'll do a list like this for and you'd be right to guess they're the band that rhymes with Piss, but more on that when and if I ever get around to it.  Me and my Beatles fan girlfriend just started watching the Beatles Anthology, which would make it my sixth or seventh time I believe, (she's a noob, fyi), and that's not counting my reading of the massive book of the same name, which is virtually a transcript of the documentary, plus a few extra thousand words or so.  So I have the utmost confidence to make this list informed besides personal as I always try and accomplish anyway.  And if anyone else out there thinks I like "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)" way too much, then feel free to argue your point away.  And you're wrong btw.

No comments:

Post a Comment